Friday, May 4, 2007

Yarn!

I got my yarn yesterday! Very exciting. I wanted to run home and cast on right away. Unfortunately I had errands to do. I did get my beads as well but I need to find a way to put them on. I don't have a crochet hook small enough for the beads. I will probably just bend some wire to do it or something. I plan on making two of these shawls. One in the teal because that's the color I originally wanted, and one in the garnet, because the more I looked at the shawl, the more I saw flames in the border. They just scream to be made in red. Oh and I couldn't find teal beads in the right color for the yarn so I got silvery ones. I don't mind them standing out so it's ok. I can't wait to start this today! I will probably also use a size 3 needle because I almost always knit a little bigger than gauge.

5 comments:

Ronni said...

When I didn't have a small enough crochet hook I used first a floss threader but that meant four strands of the yarn coming though so then I made myself a hook out of thin silver wire (I think I used 26 gauge) from the bead store but I had to keep futzing with it a bit. I also tried thread on a needle, I'd go down through the bead keeping the thread tail from going all the way through, through the knit stitch and back up through the bead and use the thread tail and the needle to pull the yarn through. That worked but also involved futzing sort of. I got a small enough crochet hook (a size 16/.4mm) at 7beads.com and she shipped really fast so I was able to switch to the faster way pretty soon. I hope this is helpful info.

Hattie said...

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into that site for one, I don't think any of the stores here carry any that small.

Anonymous said...

I love both those colors.

Deb in N TX said...

I LOVE the red yarn! That is gonna make a gorgeous shawl. I've finally started the beading part - had to rip it back 8 rows when I found an error in the center stitch of the first chart - again! But now that I am on the beading part, it is so much fun. Good luck with yours, which color are you gonna knit first?

Hattie said...

Thanks! I can't wait to do it in the red as well. I'm starting in the teal!